Friday, April 18, 2014

The Truth About Perfection

Do you ever feel like your not good enough? Do you beat yourself up because of the flaws you see in yourself? It's a crazy world we live in. Trying to figure it out (life that is) is the most challenging task of all.. ..we may never figure it out. As we go on in life we meet obstacles that can either make us or break us.
We try to fit in, be apart of the crowd. We want to be loved. Admired. Respected. Treated well. Seen as beautiful. Perfect. Accepted... but what happens when this obsession takes over? Depression hits.
One of the hardest battles you will fight with yourself, is accepting yourself. It's not easy. But nothing worth having comes easy. I learned that a long time ago. Comparison really is the thief of joy. We all want to be the best...there's no denying it. We want to be special, have something that others wish for. We want to be the girl everyone envies..the girl who seems perfect...
The pressure to be perfect.. You sit down to watch your favorite show..happy, relaxed.. Then a Victoria's Secret commercial comes on. Suddenly you feel a rock of sorrow hit you... Why don't I look like her? The checkout line at the store if bombarded with magazines reading "Flat stomach with 3 easy steps", "Get a built booty in just 2 weeks." Again, you feel a emptiness inside you.
It's on youtube, instagram, tumblr, twitter, EVERYWHERE. There's no escaping the pressure to be perfect. Our world has become a place of judgement. We are judged based on our every move-what we eat, wear, look like, talk like,...the list goes on.. Scrolling down your instagram feed, another picture of someone flaunting their body.
Of course we all want to be recognized for our hard work. Whether you are working out hard, eating healthy, trying to start your career, building a house... we want to be acknowledged. What it really comes down to is the desire to be better..to be better than someone else.. so that then, they feel the sorrow..of not having something that you have.
The thing about this time of the year is everyone is trying to get "a bikini body." Workout videos on how to flatten your stomach and tone your butt. I've seen some comments saying 'you get a bikini body by putting on a bikini.' I LOVE that! Why should we feel embarrassed of our body if we don't have a "flat" stomach? Put on your bikini, and feel confident! You were made to be you!! Not to spend countless hours trying to replicate what society made you think is beautiful. If you search, you will find that the people we are basing our vision of "perfection" on workout hours a day with personal trainers, eat strict (sometimes to the point of unhealthy) diets, have hair & makeup people who spend their day trying to make the other person look flawless. And on top of all that-they are photo-shopped. I'm not putting them down, I'm just saying that its not their natural appearance.
Yes, it's important to live a healthy, well rounded lifestyle. That means the majority of what you eat is healthy.. but not restricting what you love. Because in the end, will we really be happy that we are keeping ourselves in a locked chamber? Not allowing ourselves to eat that piece of chocolate...Will working out and eating healthy change you, so that you will be happier with who you are? Maybe it will change how you feel on the outside.. but what's important is the inside.
Wouldn't you rather be someone who has a kind heart, and good intentions, than being completely obsessed about the way you look & the way other people perceive you?
Spending countless hours worrying about whether or not you are worthy...when we are looking at the wrong attributions. People spend tons of money on things that will 'change' them. It's not what will make you happy, remember that. We should be able to feel comfortable in our own skin without looking for acceptance. 
I don't want to look back in 20 years and think.. 'I wish I wouldn't have cared so much'. After all, we are people. Trends change, beliefs change, we begin to realize the real meaning of happiness. So don't fall into the trap of thinking you are unworthy. YOU ARE WORTHY. Don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise!

Here are a few videos that also discuss this topic.



   I don't think this is a topic that should be left unheard. Let me know your thoughts & experience on this! What do you do when you find yourself feeling unworthy or comparing yourself to others.


Find me here: 

14 comments:

  1. good post! very necessary in a society in which social media portrays everyone's "best foot forward" to a fault, where we lose sense of imperfect realities and think other's lives are flawless. it's unhealthy and always a reminder to be kind to ourselves and others in our imperfections...

    http://heyprettything.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely something that should be talked about more!

      Delete
  2. Interesting topic! Great post!
    xo, Jane
    http://www.fitfabfunmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an inspiring post Makayla! Good for you! In today's society, we're constantly fighting the uphill battle of attaining that unrealistic perfect face or body. Honestly, it doesn't exist. Everyone is beautiful in their own way and it's time that the world recognize that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. :)

    Maggie
    http://clothestomidnight.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, everyone is beautiful in their own way. If only this message were well known.. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post! I read the whole thing and I really like it. I understand EXACTLY what you are talking about; last semester I would work out like 5 days a week--sometimes 6. I lost some weight, but I also lost time that I could have been doing more important things. I know I cannot workout as strictly now, but I still have goals, they might just take a little longer now.

    http://kelformity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I try my best to be my healthiest, although sometimes I wonder if I would be happier NOT trying to change my body and just enjoying life more...

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for this post!! I agree with everything you said here and I can understand exactly what you are saying! I used to be crazy about my diet and exercise, but after vacations and spending time with my friends and family, I realized that it's not possible to be so strict with myself and to enjoy life which is very important!! =) I think we all have imperfections and we should embrace them despite what the media says!
    yhttp://www.mybrokeneggshells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I was hoping it would stir up a discussion! I think embracing imperfections should be the new trend, haha. :)

      Delete
  6. I've read similar ones with the same sentiments on other blogs. I, too, suffer from bouts of self deprecation when it comes to my body. I could go on about the things I don't like, but I also try to remind myself of the things I do like. I have this intense sense of humbleness that is fine except when it turns to self deprecation. Heh. I try to find a balance, because while I don't think I'm the hottest thing ever, I also don't think I'm the worst looking person in the world. I regard myself as average and I try not to compare my beauty to that of others (since there's really no point). Good post and a good read!

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely. It's so hard to focus on the positive sometimes when the negative is so overwhelming. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  7. amazing! stunning pics!!
    ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡
    Do you want to follow each other on instagram? I'm @chicstreetchoc! Thank uuu
    FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOKCHIC STREET CHOC

    ReplyDelete